December News

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 - 14:01
Dear Parents,
 
Happy Holidays! 2018 is nearly over! Every day much learning is taking place at Royal Oaks, and it is wonderful to see the excitement of children and staff as we learn together!
 
Our Royal Oaks Staff is looking forward to working with your child(ren) in 2019! We appreciate the past sharing of concerns and joys that you have about your child’s education. We had 97% of parents attend the Fall Parent Teacher Conferences! We look forward to seeing you all again (plus the other -- 3%) on February 28 and March 5 for our Spring Conferences! Continuation of home-school communication in the new year is very important. Thank you for your continued support, and please let us know how we can assist your child in 2019!
 
On Monday, December 3, there will be no school for students across the district as teachers and administrators will be having a professional development day. Staff will be involved in math, reading, specialist focused, or other content area professional development for 2 hours in the morning. All district staff will be going to East Ridge High School at 10:00-11:30 to hear Will Bowen, the author of A Complaint Free World. In the afternoon, our staff will be participating in Royal Oaks’ Ed Camp. Staff will be choosing various sessions that they can participate in, such as: SeeSaw, culturally responsive texts, guided reading instruction, iPad use, Standards Based Instruction/Reporting, and much more!! This day is very valuable for all staff as we have the opportunity to learn and grow professionally which assists our students’ learning!
 
On Thursday, November 29 at 1:30 pm, our Royal Oaks 4th -5 th Grade Choir performed for the students/ staff. At 7:00 pm on Thursday, November 29, our Royal Oaks Choir sang with the Woodbury Elementary Choir at the Woodbury High School Auditorium. On Monday, December 10 at 1:30, our Royal Oaks Band and Orchestra will be performing for students/staff. At 7:00 pm on Monday, December 10, our Royal Oaks Band and the Woodbury Band will be performing together in our gym. The Orchestra Concert is at 6:00 pm on Thursday, January 31 at Woodbury Elementary School.
 
We look forward to hearing the students perform the music that they have learned so far this year! Thank you to the directors, Mrs. Ellison (band), Ms. Burwick (orchestra), and Mrs. Potvin (choir), for working with our children to assist in instilling the love of music! Also thank you to you for supporting music in your home!
 
We will probably have many cold days ahead in December and January. We will have outdoor recess every day unless the actual temperature is 0 degrees or below, or the wind-chill is -10 degrees or below. It is very important that your child comes to school every day wearing winter coats, boots, hats, mittens and snow pants (if there is snow on the ground). Please send your child to school with these materials with the assumption that they will be going outside. If you need assistance with any of this clothing, please let us know.
 
Susan Risius, Ph.D.
Principal